Adele Carnera

What a new job might mean for your finances & budgeting

Adele Carnera is Head of Resourcing, Financial Services and Future Talent at DST, one of Essex’s largest financial companies. Adele is here to share her knowledge and make sure that you know where you stand with your money.

1. Managing your pay

Starting a new job can mean different income and outgoings, so taking the time to manage your money better can really pay off. The Money Advice Service is a free, government supported service that offers impartial support, templates and information on all money questions. They also provide useful tips on insurance, travel, homes and mortgages. You can visit their website for more information:

2. Financial support in employment

Universal Credit will ultimately replace Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits and is available for eligible employed individuals. Information on the different work benefits is available through the Money Advice Service website, via their dedicated section on Work & Benefits. For more information on benefits, visit your local Jobcentre Plus, to find your nearest centre visit: or go to

3. Pensions

To help people save for retirement, the Government has introduced automatic enrolment, by 2018 all employers will have to enroll their eligible workers automatically into a workplace pension scheme unless the worker opts out. Look at the ‘Retirement’ tab on the Money Advice Service website:

4. Help with childcare costs

There are a number of Government-funded initiatives to provide financial support to parents in work or education. You can find out more at: and the following initiatives are available dependent on eligibility:

All 3 to 4-year-olds in England can get free early education or childcare. All children in England get 570 free hours per year. It’s usually taken as 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year, but you can choose to take fewer hours over more weeks, for example. You can get it from the term after your child’s 3rd birthday and stops when your child starts in reception class (or reaches compulsory school age, if later).

You may be able to get up to 30 hours free childcare, which you can choose how you take, not all childcare providers will offer the 30 hours so you should check with them. For more information on funded childcare, ask your childcare provider or contact the following councils:

Essex - -Schools/

Southend -

Thurrock -

You may be eligible for Child Tax Credit if your children are under 16 or under 20 and in eligible education or training go to for more information.

Many employers offer childcare voucher schemes. It is applied as a salary sacrifice scheme, which means you can pay for childcare out of your Pre-Tax and National Insurance income.

Tax Free Childcare is open to all parents, whether you are self-employed or employed. An impartial guide on support for childcare (up to kids turning 16) is provided by:

Print this page: